Thursday, May 11, 2017

Yeah, Science!



Even more than the prior two modules, Mod3 really made me excited to be a biological engineer. I’m not saying that the first modules were uninteresting, but they were composed of procedures and methods that are sort of common, whereas nothing about Mod3 was normal. I hadn’t seen anything like it before. So basically from the second the module started, when I figured out what we were going to be doing, I was amazed. I kinda looked a bit like this dude.
I  stayed that way for a while, especially when Professor Belcher was describing everything that she had done. It seemed like she wouldn’t have enough time to sleep or eat, let alone help out a bunch of random undergraduates with some cool science stuff. But I slowly became skeptical about whether we could actually make batteries from viruses. I just couldn’t get myself to not think that all the professors were just in on some long con to prank us. So, I slowly became Fry from futurama.

But at the end when the LED finally lit up, I transformed into Jesse Pinkman.
Generally though, the mod really helped open my eyes to what could be done in biological engineering. Before this mod I had a somewhat limited idea about what BE was, but after I realized that it encompases a lot more than what I had previously thought. I never would have guessed that making batteries could become biology, and half the things that Prof. Belcher worked on seemed out of the range of BE as well. Now I know thought that there are still huge areas of BE that I have yet to discover.

No comments:

Post a Comment