Sunday, May 14, 2017

Looking Back



I’ve always been interested in both energy and generally interdisciplinary areas, so Mod 3 was particularly exciting to me. It was so different from anything I’d done in a BE lab before! For a while before Mod 3 started I had been interested in using biological engineering to genetically modify organisms like algae to produce efficient and environmentally friendly fuels. However, I had never really considered using biological engineering and tools like phages to organize materials in unique ways. It was very eye-opening to hear that this was possible, and even more exciting for me to actually make the batteries.

Mod 1 and Mod 2 were both very useful and interesting, and really helped me grasp many commonly used lab techniques. However, Mod 3 was my personal favorite, since it required me to do things I had never encountered or even considered before. I also really enjoy learning about electronics, so that also helped. It confirmed to me the vast array of applications of biological engineering, which was fascinating.

I think for me, this realization was the biggest benefit of 20.109 overall. I really began to understand that this interdisciplinary quality can be applied to really any field, which rejuvenated my excitement for future work. 

I think the other most beneficial aspects of this class were proposing our own research ideas and simply getting to know others in the major and being able to what we were learning with our classmates. The dynamics of the class were very unique, and definitely a great introduction to the biological engineering major.

So long, 20.109 (slightly preemptive).

P.S. I would just like to thank the instructors and my fellow classmates for making 20.109 such a positive experience. So, thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment