Friday, May 12, 2017

Getting Ready for Mod 4 ... oh wait

Wow... that was quick. It seems like just yesterday we were all sitting through a biosafety lecture from EHS. Next thing you know it's May 12th, and we only have one assignment left for 20.109. Time flies (shout out to the 2017 SpringFest headliners I did not go see). Anyways, we have accomplished so much in one semester, it is almost hard to believe. I keep wondering "what's next?" but then I remember our 20.10time is almost over. Truly, it was a good run.

There was a host of reasons why I enjoyed Module 3, but I would like to highlight a few.

1. Tangibility

Module 3 was extremely tangible. We each made our own battery, something that we can physically keep and hold on to. It was really interesting to see how our cancer cell lines responded to different DNA damaging agents, but I was not too eager to keep a slurry of cells.  Physically making the batter was also quite exciting. Ok, Nora and I did slightly struggle with rolling out the cathode. Major shoutout and thank you to Dr. Jifa Qi! Without him, our battery would have been a major bust. Assembling our battery was really fun as well. I kind of felt like I was back in my middle school science class trying to make a battery light up a light bulb, oh the nostalgia... I am looking forward to making battery holder either this summer or next fall.



2. The Belcher Lab

Even though I am fond of 56-322, working in the Belcher Lab was a great change of scenery. Working in the Belcher Lab added excitement to Module. Visiting/Using the TEM and "working" in the glovebox are some of my favorite Belcher Lab experiences.



3.  Personality

The Module 3 Research Proposals were a great way to see what people are interested in. It was also reassuring (not sure if that was the best word) how plausible everyone's proposals were. There were many ideas that were completely new to me as well. Microbubbles am I right?! I really hope that someday we all pursue these research proposals because we all had great ideas. I truly believe we are the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment