Saturday, April 15, 2017

Why Cold & Journal Club don’t go together


     The spring finally arrives in Cambridge! The temperature was around a comfortable ~15-20o C (I don’t speak Farenheit, if you mind) this past week. Flowers started to bloom again. The warm sun shines bright, and everyone’s wearing shorts again to class. What a time to be alive… well, except if you’re me somewhat dying from catching a cold.


Yes, the week of Journal Club, my immune system, which I am often proud of, decided to fail on me. I couldn’t take much rest either, as I had a midterm the night before JC. As a result, I was feeling crappy about myself heading into the presentation. Nevertheless, the show must go on, or so I thought.

Going into the presentation, I was feeling confident about myself despite being sick. I had prepared a decent ppt presentation (with many animations and simplified figures, as well as a doge at the end of the slide) and crafted a well-narrated story (out of a pretty confusing Nature paper). However, everything fell into pieces the minute I start my talk. So to refresh my tired self before the talk, I decided to drink my usual traditional (Indonesian) concoction made up ginger, honey and other herbs, called Tolak Angin (which in English literally translates to ‘Repel Wind’). Usually, the sweet yet warm and spicy blend of Tolak Angin would often wake me up and get me ready for an exam; yet however, for some reason, the plan backfired that day. Perhaps because I was sick at the time, I ended up burping quite a lot during my 10 min talk which often made me pause quite a lot (can't wait to watch myself on the video later).

Additionally, I had my all my notes prepared on the ppt slides, and little did I know that I couldn't access the first 1-3 sentences of it (which were my important 'trigger' words) on Leslie’s computer due to track pad problem. This caused me to panic quite a lot since I would not know what to talk about on each particular slide. Thankfully, seeing familiar faces of the teaching instructors and fellow friends in the audience helped calm me down and finish my talk.

So moral of the story, kids, is don’t get yourself sick the day of an oral presentation; it (along with a series of bad luck) can seriously mess you up! Although I think I did somewhat okay in the end, still I wish I could’ve been better. Regardless, spring is here, and I am feeling slightly better so I might as well forget about it and enjoy the nice weather!  
  

 












No comments:

Post a Comment