Friday, April 14, 2017

The Art of Scientific Storytelling

Before I begin I just wanted to say that the weather has been just so fantastic this week! It was 80 degrees! How beautiful :)

I. Learning How to Read

Over the past year or so I have been learning how to read...scientific papers. Honestly, this is a skill I will be developing for a long time. I feel like scientific paper reading is something you can never be too good at. Yes, I am reading the words on the page, but what do these words mean?? What do the figures tell? Are the authors discussing anything in their discussion?


II.  Practice, Practice, Practice!

You know the saying “practice makes perfect”? I can’t promise that practice will make you perfect, but practice should definitely make you better than before. Even though I do think I practiced, I wish I would have practiced more. Specifically, practiced presenting to a diverse group of people. Presenting to different students in BE and the people in the Comm Lab would have been beneficial in preparation for my Journal Club presentation.


III. My 20.109 peers

I was so impressed by all the students in my TR section. Every student knew their material well. Listening to everyone's journal club was like a "grown-up" storytime. Honestly, scientific storytelling is an art and should be appreciated by all.


No comments:

Post a Comment