Saturday, April 15, 2017

Reflections and regrets

I have a pretty bad relationship with public speaking, and it definitely shows whenever the unfortunate circumstance arises where I need to do any sort of presentation. I usually deal with this issue by pushing off preparing for the presentation, delaying the inevitable; presenting suboptimally; worrying afterwards about everything I did wrong; and then trying to forget about the bad memories. It's not a good system, I agree! This time, I want to reflect on my journal club experience and have specific action items for my next presentation, whenever that may be.

1. I need to practice so much more. Because it's a 10 minute presentation, after a few full run-throughs I don't feel motivated enough to practice more. But because we have a strict time limit, it's especially important to be able to judge my timing correctly.

2. I know I'm bad at improv, so I don't know why I tell myself that I'll be able to talk about a section of information without enough practice. That won't happen! I need to practice more!

3. I could definitely work on making less cluttered slides, with clearer figures. I need to figure out a good balance between having enough supporting information​ and having legible images of a good size.

4. On that same note, I also need to find a balance between providing enough data and explaining each figure/experiment thoroughly enough. In my presentation I think I wanted to use lots of figures to support each conclusion the authors made, but in doing so I wasn't able to give enough details about each individual experiment.

I know my presentation could have gone a lot better. But enough about that. Besides presenting, the other major part of journal club was listening to everyone else present a paper. I enjoyed seeing how the concepts we learned in lecture and lab about homologous recombination and NHEJ could be the basis of such a wide variety of research topics. Although I didn't fully understand​ everything, it was great to be able to see examples of the wide scope of this aspect of bioengineering. Also, the fact that we had to ask questions really pushed me to try to make connections between what was presenting and what I knew, so I could try to ask decent questions.

Overall, journal club was pretty cool. And turns out, practice really helps you get better! Why do I never realize this?


No comments:

Post a Comment