Sunday, April 23, 2017

14 pages later...

Coming to you live right after turning in my first ever research article! Wow, what a rush. I waited a day to hand in the final product, but it's been submitted and I can officially say that I wrote something longer than 15 pages (not even including the figures!!). I'm really proud of the work that I did, re-reading my article after thinking about how nervous I was to write it at the beginning of the module makes me really happy.

For me, the best part about this report was creating the figures. I had gotten a taste of the figure-making process during the mini report from the first module, but I've learned that I really like using manipulation of photos and data to tell a story about what I've done. Even when just making these little figures for this reports, I tried to take up as much space on the page as possible, and had to edit them down because I was worried they were showing too much information. I just liked the way they looked on the page, and how they represented the data that I had collected to its' full extent. I'm anxious to get feedback on them, but if I get good responses then I'll be more confident in my figure making abilities for the future, and hopefully continue to improve.

In addition, I liked being able to craft my own story in a way through the interpretation of the data. while this was daunting at first (it would have been a lot easier if I had just been told the end goal, like the previous module), once I had figured out my story and knew where to go with it, I felt really confident about it. I think it mimics the natural research process anyway, because even when you plan ahead to attempt to get a certain result, sometimes you don't get what you're expecting to see and have to change up your story or research plan to account for your findings. Therefore, while this part was initially a little frightening, it ended up being very rewarding.

Overall I had a very positive experience with this module, but it was a fairly long one and so I'm ready to put it to rest and move on to the next! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment