Sunday, April 23, 2017

What Point am I Trying to Make?

The Mod 1 report seemed difficult at the time, but then I started writing the Mod 2 report. I had my methods section done from our previous assignment, as well as a start to my introduction, discussion, and results sections. But I still had to put everything together, and finish several sections.

But I had already done all of this in Mod 1, so I could just follow the same procedure and it would be easy, right?

Wrong.

The Mod 1 experiments had been fairly linear. Mod 2? Not so much. We had multiple experiments running in parallel, which made writing about the results, and then later discussing the results, difficult.

But the hardest part was deciding on what main point to make through the research article, and trying to create a cohesive story around it. In fact, I ended up sending a panicked email to the instructors just over an hour before the paper was due, trying to make sure I understood how I could tie all of the pieces of the module together.

Overall, I think I would have struggled a bit less if I had chosen a specific point to make in the paper as a whole as soon as I had started writing the article, rather than trying to cohesively tie everything together at the end. It would have allowed me to have a better idea of which results to focus on throughout the writing process, which in retrospect, would have been very helpful.


Looking ahead, I am excited for Mod 3. I have a strong interest in the intersection of biology and energy, especially as related to sustainability, and I think this will fit in very well with my interests.

No comments:

Post a Comment