Sunday, April 23, 2017

Research Article Regrets

I'm so glad I'm finally done with the Mod 2 Research Article. I think the homework and feedback definitely helped prepare us, but writing the research article was definitely still a challenge. Thinking about our confounding results and what could be happening, and thinking of future experiments to test these hypotheses was definitely interesting.

I regret not starting earlier on this assignment. I think I should have started at least a week earlier so I could feel less pressed for time at the end. Also, I feel like I was relatively inefficient when working. In the beginning I felt less pressured so I got things done really slowly. 
Me: 

My goal is to be more on top of things for the rest of this semester (which is only a month, but still). I feel frustrated because of my bad procrastination habits. I really regret not being more on top of this assignment.
 On a different note, thanks so much Noreen for all the help in office hours (: Thank you so much for answering all of my questions, and for having more office hours on Saturday. We really appreciate it (: Also, thanks for feeding us! (: Although this assignment was stressful, it was fun to commiserate together with all the other 109-ers in office hours and joke around. 

Also, writing the research article made me really think about all the experiments we've been doing and the results we generated. I think this module is really cool and it introduced me to a lot of new concepts and tools (such as RNA-seq). Writing this research article was a good way to wrap up this module and really think about what the results of our experiments mean in a broader context. Although it was stressful, I think this assignment is very useful.

Looking back on this module, I think for the two major assignments, journal club presentation and this research article, I feel regretful. For the journal club presentation, I wish I hadn't let nerves get the best of me, and for this assignment I wish I started earlier and also worked more efficiently and quickly (I also regret not starting earlier because if I finished earlier I could have gone to the march ): ). I've been really frustrated this past semester with myself in general actually, but I want to do better from now on. Like I said/wrote in my last post, these "failures" may sting, but they only motivate me to do even better in the future. Also, I know this entire post is ironic because I forgot to write my blog post on time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment