Friday, March 31, 2017

Biggest Takeaways from 20.10fineeeee Mod 1

Before we dive in, I would just like to say I am writing this in an airport so I feel really hip blogging on the go!

Anyways,  Module 1. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times…all relative of course. Jokes aside. I thoroughly enjoyed Module 1 for many reasons. All different, but equally important.

1. Active Time Management

With a constant flow of assignments, one can find themselves swimming upstream in a very strong current.  20.109 teaches you to stay on top of your assignments. If you feel like there is nothing to do, you’re probably doing something wrong.  










On the left is without time management, and on the right is without time management.

Active vs Passive Time management --- It’s one thing to think about the work that needs to be done, and it is another thing to actually do it.  This is the difference between active and passive time management. It is very easy to plan out what you are going to do, but once you have to DO what you planned to do. 20.109 Module 1 was a constant reminder to always maximize my time.

2. 100% Biological Engineering. FDA Approved. (I do not have a citation for this, just trust me)

Many studies have had Course 20 UROPs prior to 20.109. All of my UROP experience thus far has been in Course 9, Brain and Cognitive Sciences (which I have absolutely loved). Module 1 was my first exposure to true biological engineering.  I love learning about different aspects of the field in lecture, and then applying what we just learned in lab an hour later.  Finally, take a look at who we are learning from?! All the professors, instructors, graduate students are all places where us students would like 5, 10, 20 years. Module 1 made we take a look at where I am and where I would like to be at the same time.

3. The Positives of Group Work 


Throughout my academic career, I have always shied away from group work and viewed group work as a negative thing. Usually, there’s always someone who doesn’t pull his or her weight, many times personalities clash, and the list goes on and on.  However, Module 1 has allowed me to see the positives of group work.  All the students in 20.109 (shout out to T/R) have been so great to work and collaborate with. Finally I really have enjoyed working with my lab partner (shout out to Nora), and I  hope all the rest of the 20.109ers are enjoying their lab partner dynamic as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment